Monday, March 02, 2015

MEMM Day 12 - Least-favorite costumes

There's only one costume I truly dislike, and that's Aragorn's outfit he wears in Rivendell during FOTR.


I'm not sure exactly why I dislike it so much.  Maybe because I love his black Strider clothes very much, and when he ditches them for these very boring things, I sulk.  I call them his pajamas and make snide remarks about him wearing loungewear to the Council of Elrond.  But come on!  Aragorn looks like this:


By contrast, Boromir shows up wearing this:


Is it any wonder that Boromir is shocked and disdainful when he learns who Aragorn is?  The dude wearing velveteen pajamas is Isildur's heir?  Yikes!

I must admit, though, that he seems to be wearing some great boots.  You only get to see them in a couple of wide shots, though.


So now you know.  I'm annoyed by Aragorn's pajamas, and the sooner he gets back into his grunged up Strider gear, the better.

Doesn't it look like they're staging an intervention here?
"Aragorn, dude, we have got to have a real talk about those clothes."
"It's time to say good-bye to your pajamas.  I'm sorry, but naptime is over."

11 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAH.

    You're right -- it's the PJ look. *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your commentary on the outfit is hilarious. ROFL! I'm not fond of this outfit, but I don't mind it nearly as much as the horrible atrocious red thing he's wearing in RotK, in the same scene as Sam and Frodo's choir boy PJs. This one at least has a belt and some styling (and boots! Those are nice boots!). That thing in RoTK is a sack of indeterminate origin masquerading as clothing. Aragorn also has terrible hair in that reunion scene, so on top of a drippy robe thingy, he gets dinged points for that too. Because you know me and their hair. Elrond, baby! I'm looking at you!

    You know, I actually may hate Aragorn's outfit there worse than Sam and Frodo's that I listed. Hm. May have to change my entry. Or at least add it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. I can't call to mind any atrocious red thing he wears. I remember him having a red shirt in ROTK, but that's it.

      I don't like Aragorn's hair here either. It's all... pretty. I think he overdid it on the conditioner.

      Delete
  3. I bet they did it to make him seem more Elvish since he grew up in Rivendell. A "when he stays there he adopts the fashion" kind of thing? But I agree it doesn't work too well. Not a fan. And the hair too. He shouldn't brush that stuff too much! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then give him cool robes like Elrond and Legolas and every single other elf in the scene (and all of Rivendell). That would have been better, and made more sense.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, if that's what they were trying to do, they didn't go far enough with it.

      Delete
    3. I'm with you on this one... love this movie, but "no" to the velour bathrobe.

      Delete
    4. Hee! I like that. "Velour bathrobe." Good description.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, you and DKoren get so visceral about the outfits in Rivendell - I love reading your mini-rants about the pajama costumes! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when we're passionate about something :-D

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)