Wednesday, April 08, 2015

MEMM Day 17 - Scenes/things you cry at

We watched TBOTFA on DVD once it came out, and yup, I still cry at the same things in it.  So now I can make this list and feel like it's very concrete, these aren't changing.  (Sadly, life has intervened and kept me from the Middle Earth Movie Meme for a little while, but I'm back to it now!)

The Fellowship of the Ring


I cry when Boromir dies.  Even thinking the line, "Be at peace, son of Gondor" can bring tears to my eyes.  Part of this is because he's my favorite LOTR character and I'm sad he doesn't get to be in the rest of the trilogy.  But a lot of it is because of how he dies, defending "the little ones" and atoning for his fall into temptation.


The Two Towers

In TTT, I cry when the Frodo-and-Sam-wandering-around-in-Mordor parts go on too long.  Just kidding.  I don't think I cry during TTT.


The Return of the King


I cry when Sam picks up Frodo and says, "I can't carry it for you, Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you!"


I also cry when Aragorn sees Arwen at his coronation.  And I cry when Aragorn tells the four hobbits, "You bow to no one."

EDIT:  I just realized I also generally cry at the Grey Havens, when Sam has to say goodbye to Frodo.  Partings and reunions make me cry.


An Unexpected Journey


In AUJ, I didn't cry at all until I rewatched it after seeing TBOTFA.  Now I cry when Bilbo says, "See, that's where I belong.  That's home.  And that's why I came back.  Because… you don't have one.   A home.  It was taken from you.  But I will help you take it back, if I can."  Knowing now how that would come back again during Thorin's death... wow, hits me hard.


The Desolation of Smaug

Once again, the middle movie doesn't really  make me cry.


The Battle of the Five Armies


(Source)

I don't really cry as much during this movie as you'd expect.  The first time, I cried over the deaths, but in all subsequent viewings, I don't.  But I definitely cry when Bilbo says goodbye to the remaining dwarves.  I start when Balin says, "You can tell them yourself," and I don't stop until the scene ends.  

I also tear up at the very end when Gandalf says outside Bag End, "And what about very old friends?"

6 comments:

  1. Ditto most of it. Except I also cry when Tauriel and Thranduil are reunited. I'm a sap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw TBOTFA, I cried over more things. Bilbo's reaction to Thorin dying; Legolas' reaction to Tauriel crying over Kili; Bard reuniting with Sigrid and Tilda. But subsequent viewings, those dropped away.

      Delete
    2. I've only seen it once, so I expect to do a lot of bawling over the extended edition. :D

      Delete
    3. Oh, all bets are off for the extended edition.

      Delete
  2. Such a feelsy trilogy:'(

    I don't think I've ever actually physically cried in any of the Middle-earth movies, but boy oh boy, are the tears flowing inside! Yes, yes, yes, to most of those parts (i.e., Sam carrying Frodo, the Aragorn/Arwen reunion, the "home" quote at the end of AUJ, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more willing I am to cry over movies. And books. Until I was in my 20s, I pretty much only cried if a dog or horse died. Now, though, I quite enjoy a bit of cathartic crying over something fictional :-) Including these very feelsy trilogies!

      Delete

Agree or disagree? That is the question...

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)